Skip to main content
Music Quick Links
Frequently Used Resources (in order of relevance)
Are you trying to find scores (printed music) in the FSU Library Catalog? Here are a few tips to get you going.
Are you a singer looking for a vocal score of an opera or other large work? Try a keyword search for the name of the large work and the term "vocal scores."
- Zauberflote and vocal scores - The result set includes arias from Zauberflote in collections, not just for the complete opera.
- Why did I use "Zauberflote" instead of "Magic Flute?"
- Super searcher secret: Musical works with specific names (think operas, ballets, symphonic poems) have an entry under the original name of the work in library catalogs. Don't believe me?
- Compare Magic flute and vocal scores against the other search.
- Which search had more entries for this Mozart opera?
- You can also choose the format dropdown at the search screen to limit your search to "musical score."
What about songs from a song cycle?
- If you know it's from a song cycle, you may want to search for the title of the cycle, not just the particular song.
- E.g. compare
- a title search for Frauenliebe und leben, then limit the search to format "musical score" either from the beginning or on the left hand side of the results screen.
- a title search for "meinem Herzen." A keyword search for "meinem Herzen" is successful if you want the piece from an anthology.
- Some of the anthologies have tables of contents added in the library catalog, but not all. Our cataloging folks are working on a long-term project to add this valuable information to the library catalog.
Head, Warren D. Allen Music Library