ETD Formatting Help
Allow the Graduate School to help resolve the thorny formatting issues that can arise when writing a work of considerable length.
They can help you:
- correct your page numbering
- place consent forms in your appendices
- overcome spacing problems
- augment your pdf with media
- learn how to generate a table of contents, list of figures, etc., from headings and captions
- become acquainted with
The Graduate School's information on theses, treatises, and dissertations is the first and last word on formatting your document.
Media Format Conversion/Digitization
Preserve the analog media to which you own the rights, or ensure that everyone can use your media.
Analog to Digital Conversion
- LPs, 45's
- photographs, slides, negatives and transparencies
- other analog media, provided you can bring the appropriate player
Digital Format Conversion
Among other transformations:
- video: quicktime to windows media
- DVD to computer video
- audio: wav to aiff to mp3 to aac
Planning and Consultation
Having a goal in mind before beginning a media project greatly simplifies the process of attaining it.
If you're uncertain where to begin working, or the complexity of the software or the process overwhelms you, or you don't know the feasibility of your idea, schedule an appointment. We'll discuss what you want to do and create a plan that helps get you there.
- learn how to automate repetitive tasks in Photoshop
- get the low-down on scanning, resolution, and image quality
- discover free alternatives to popular commercial software
- borrow a second set of eyes for conference posters
- receive a second opinion on a project's process or complexity
Highlights of this Guide
Recent Additions to this Guide
- SAS, SPSS, MATLAB, nVivo, STATA, and Sony Vegas are all available in the Graduate Computer Lab (005C, Strozier). Maple and STAT/Transfer coming soon.
- ITS Computer labs have gone virtual: VLabs FAQ
- Look into the 25GB of cloud file storage offered by the MyFSU service. This looks like a good way of securing your documents against catastrophic hardware failures.
- Bulk downloading with Firefox Add-ons
Links to Hard-to-Find Information Technology Resources at FSU
- About the FSUSecure Wireless Network
- AV Equipment for the Classroom
- The Secure Shell Client
- Setting up and using MyFSU services.
- High-quality images of FSU and its people.
- High-quality FSU seals and FSU graphic design standards.