Skip to Main Content
Music Quick Links
Frequently Used Resources
Resources for Reception History
We've all heard the lore about the first performance of Rite of Spring. But how do we know what happened? We know from accounts of people who attended the first performance. Through published reviews (newspapers, journals), diaires, and letters. How can we find those?
- RIPM -- indexes music periodicals from 1800-1950.
- some of these periodicals are available through JStor and other online resources
- Some are available in reprint editions (see Dwight's Journal of Music)
- Some are available in microform
- And some through interlibrary loan
Specific newspapers, journals:
- If you've not yet discovered Slonimsky's Lexicon of Musical Invective, you've missed a treat.
- Specific books on music criticism (FSU catalog search -- note the limiting options on the left of the screen with specific countries and time divisions)
Head, Warren D. Allen Music Library