Skip to main content

Allen Music Library Tips

Using Library Services

Here are some common questions about services provided by the Music Library and the University Libraries.

How do I renew my materials?

Materials may be renewed in person or online via the "renewals/library account" button in the upper right corner of the catalog or here. You can log in using your FSU single sign-on (username/password). Once you have logged in to your library account, click on the "loan" button and select the items you wish to renew. Items for which a hold or recall has been placed, or which have reached their maximum number of renewals, may not be renewed online.

How do I connect to databases from off-campus?

Many of our electronic databases are subscription services available only to the FSU community. To access the databases from off-campus requires that you log in via a proxy. To do this, you must log in to the proxy server, here. You will need your FSU login ID and password. Once you have logged in, you should be able to use the databases.

How do I request something via Interlibrary Loan?

Items which are not in our catalog may be borrowed from other libraries through the University Library’s Interlibrary Loan (ILL) department. The library offers ILL services free of charge (for the most part) to student, faculty and staff of FSU. Items must be requested online via the ILLiad system (registration is required). See our Interlibrary Loan guide for more information.

Can I request Interlibrary Loans through the Music Library?

No, all Interlibrary Loans are processed through the University Libraries' ILL system, ILLiad.

Though the Allen Music Library is autonomous, our agreement with the University Libraries includes a provision that they will continue to service our interlibrary needs. However, the Allen Music Library is an official ILL dropoff point. This means you may elect to receive and return all of your ILL items here (including non-music items).

To select the music library as your preferred ILL pickup location, log in to ILLiad and scroll down to the bottom. Click on the "Change User Information" button. Then, choose "MUSIC" from the dropdown menu next to "Library Delivery Location" and click the "Submit Information" button. NB: simply hitting enter will not save your changes.

Are there online forms for rush requests, recalls, etc?

A recall can be placed online via the "Place a hold" link on the item's record in the online catalog.

Otherwise, no, aside from the Interlibrary Loan form, which is handled by the University Libraries. It is something we have considered, however, and may look into in the future depending on interest and available time, but for now, rush cataloging requests, search requests, etc. must be submitted in person. Please note: do not use the rush request form on the University Libraries’ home page for Allen Music Library items. It will slow the processing time down considerably.

The Florida State University Libraries
Library Hours | Maps and Directions | Employment | Giving to the Libraries | The FSULib Blog | Library Homepage

Florida State University Libraries | 116 Honors Way | Tallahassee, FL 32306 | (850) 644-2706