Skip to main content
Welcome to your CIES Research Guide!
Welcome, CIES students! The resources you see in this guide are here to help you succeed in the CIES program and in your future academic career. Please click on the tabs at the top-left of this page to access these resources. Below are descriptions of the information you will find in each section of this guide.
- English Language Resources: Links to websites that will help you with your reading, listening, speaking (pronunciation), writing, vocabulary, and grammar skills. You can also find links to news and entertainment websites.
- Library Services: Learn about the available services at Florida State University Libraries.
- Citation Guide: The laws about copyright, plagiarism, and intellectual property work differently in the United States compared to many other countries. It is very important to learn about copyright laws before you begin writing research papers. You must give credit to the sources you use in your papers and be careful that you do not claim others’ ideas as your own.The links in this tab will help you learn to avoid plagiarism by citing, or giving credit to, the sources you use in your papers.
- Database Guide: A step-by-step guide about how to search for articles in a database and definitions for terms that you will see in databases.
- Open Access Databases: Free databases you can access from home that will help you find peer-reviewed articles.
- The Public Library: Did you know there are libraries outside of the FSU campus in Tallahassee, that anyone can use? Find out how to get your own temporary library card. You can check out books, music, and movies, use library computers, use library wifi, access the Gale Group Databases from your home, and print 10 pages per day for free!