Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Head, Warren D. Allen Music Library
Music Ed/Music Therapy Quick Links
Frequently Used Resources (in order of relevance)
Finding music education books
Seems to be easy, yes? Just type in music education in the library catalog and away we go?
Not quite so easy.
Finding journal articles is often easier than locating appropriate music education books because of how the items are described. Journal article usually address a very specific topic, so the terminology applied to those topics in databases is narrow. However, books often cover broader topics, and even if a book is actually a collection of essays, the library catalog entry for that book may only have up to four subjects.
What to do?
Hints to help:
- The official Library of Congress Subject Heading for music education is actually: music -- instruction and study
- As of 3 September 2013, that search resulted in a list of 2,411 items in the FSU library catalog (linked above).
- Another useful term: school music -- instruction and study
- Some books may have additional subjects to help focus your search, such as "middle school education," and "school management and organization."
- Just as with PsycInfo and other resources, look for tools within the resource to help. For example, look at Subject: Topic in the left hand column and choose show more.
- Choose one of these topics to further refine your search.