Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Frequently Used Resources (in order of relevance)
Modern/current popular music in all its various genres has been analyzed in dissertations -- particularly those with an interdisciplinary bent. Dissertations are the final project for the doctorate (usually PhD) degree and presents original research on a topic. Sound good? How do you find these?
While some resources such as Music Index and OneSearch/Summon index many dissertations, your best bet is to search
- Dissertations and Theses
- Full text for many dissertations is provided through this resource -- and don't forget the bibliographies/works cited in dissertations can be quite helpful in locating other resources.
But what if the full text is not available through this resource and it's a recent dissertation? Two possible answers exist:
- Google Scholar or good ol' Google may provide a link to the full text.
- Many universities provide direct access to theses and dissertations (and other scholarly works) through Insitutional Repositories
- The author has not released the dissertation for the wider audience for a certain number of years
- Also called an embargo
- You can contact the dissertation author directly and ask if they are willing to share a copy. For the purposes of this course, your best bet is to locate another resource for your paper (minimum of 5 sources)
What if the full text is not available and it's not a recent dissertation?
- Try searching the author in OneSearch or in a resource called WorldCat (think of it as the library catalog for almost the world)
- You may be able to find a copy of the dissertation to request through interlibrary loan (which can take 2-3 weeks to arrive)
- If you find an article by the author in OneSearch, dig deeper -- it may be a section of the author's dissertation!
Head, Warren D. Allen Music Library